[wplug] USB video capture recommendations

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Sun Jun 15 17:04:45 EDT 2008

I'm looking for a USB video capture device. I can and have been doing
searches, what I'm asking the list for is any personal experience.
Specifically, my requirements are:
Must be USB
Must be supported by linux. :)
Composite input (The yellow rca cable)
Strong preference for something powered by the USB bus
Strong preference for hardware encoding
Audio is not required
A tuner is not required

I have a KWorld VS-USB2800D and support wasn't the greatest. I need to
be vague here because it's been over a month since I last tried to
make it work. From what I can remember, I could sometimes get video
out of it, but it wasn't consistent. I also couldn't get every tool to
work right. I seem to recall xawtv working, but ffmeg would not.

I have a Pinnacle Dazzle DVC 100 USB device that I haven't opened yet.
I'm also borrowing another device that I'm told is well supported, but
it doesn't meet my powered from USB requirement.

-james