[wplug] WRT54G v8 Hack

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Thu Jun 12 16:28:15 EDT 2008

Mackenzie Morgan wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 3:38 PM, DK <wplug at curlynoodle.com
> <mailto:wplug at curlynoodle.com>> wrote:
>
>      > I'm pretty sure any version newer than 4 has too small of a ROM
>     to replace
>      > the firmware, so that's out.  The GL's have large enough ROMs.
>      >
>      > --
>      > Mackenzie Morgan
>
>     DD-WRT firmware does support WRT54G v8 even with 2MB of Flash.  I
>     opted to try DD-WRT, and it seems to work well.
>

> Oh, then is it OpenWRT that couldn't handle the smaller ROM?

The difference is in how much stuff you can put on it.  For the VxWorks
devices you just don't put as much extra stuff on there.  For instance, the
micro version doesn't have an SSH server, Samba Client, OpenVPN, etc.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_%22DD-WRT%22%3F#Special_Versions

As for me, I'm stuck using the older version because they b0rked ipv6 in
the newest release.

--Patrick