[wplug] aliased interfaces and dhcp

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Thu Jun 12 10:35:00 EDT 2008

Hey, I've got one ethernet connection that I'd like to have two IP
addresses.  Normally this is pretty straight forward, but all the
documentation just covers static IP addresses, in which case you can have
eth0 have DHCP or static, but eth0:1 must be static -- largely because it
has the same mac address.  Running "ifconfig hw eth0 ether
XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX" doesn't seem to do the trick either as it changes both
mac addresses.

Is there a way to create a virtual interface with a different mac address
that I can then use to get another DHCP address?

Many thanks?

--Patrick