[wplug] Affordable Lnux based web hosting?

Zach Uram netrek at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 10:27:39 EDT 2008

I have a low end DSL connection (728/128) and I am worried that if I
host my own site it will draw on my already meager network resources,
if my machine goes down or DSL service is interrupted my site would be
inaccessible, content would be rendered not super fast. So I was
wondering if there are any good low cost Linux centric hosting
providers out there? I would like one that gave me ssh access and let
me use scp, rsync etc.  Ihate fiddling with FTP if I can avoid it.
Also want one that will let me run my own SSI scripts (Perl, Java,
PHP, C). I know I could get a VPS plan and install anything I want but
I priced them and the cheapeast I found was like $25/mo. which is more
than my DSL service costs so I am reluctant to go that route! I may
just end up running my own webserver but first I wanted to see what is
out there in terms of cheap hosting.

Zach