[wplug] Blender demo at Saturday "move night"

me at harkyman.com me at harkyman.com
Mon Jul 21 12:37:59 EDT 2008

Hi folks --

I realize that Saturday's open movie night is a scheduled event and everyone should know about it already, etc., but I wanted to throw my $0.02 in to encourage you to come. While Elephants Dream (the first short) is kind of weird and artsy, Big Buck Bunny is really great. For the presentation part, I'll be talking about Blender (duh), how it came to where it is in the FOSS world, and try to be funny about it at the same time. Also, I'll be showing off some of Blender's basic work flow and cooler features. In addition, I'll have some testing builds of some of the current Google Summer of Code projects so you can see what's coming down the pipeline.

I worked for a week on the Elephants Dream short (which is now part of a MoMA exhibit!), and have written a couple of Blender-related books, including the Foundation's "getting started" manual "The Essential Blender." I'm also on the development team, having contributed some character animation and interface features. I'll have a couple of current checkouts of different Blender branches on my laptop, so if anyone is interested in taking a look with someone who already knows their way around, I'll be available after the "big show." :) It's a very cool project, and we're always looking for coders interested in contributing. The dev environment is quite laid back, and anyone with some talent and interest would fit right in.

So, again, here's the link to the WPLUG event announcement:
http://www.wplug.org/w/index.php/Meeting-20080726

And to the venue for directions, etc.:
http://creativetreehousepgh.com/

I hope to see you there!