[wplug] domain question

Kevin Squire gentgeen at wikiak.org
Sun Jul 20 17:03:51 EDT 2008

On Sun, 20 Jul 2008 15:36:26 -0400
"Michael Semcheski" <mhsemcheski at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 1:00 PM, Michael Semcheski
> <mhsemcheski at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> The tone of this discussion seems to have changed a little.  I'm still
> curious though:  Is there an advantage to Google Apps over gmail?  Do
> you get anything besides having your own domain at the end of your
> email address, and a wider array of names to choose from?
>
> As an example, I can share calendars, documents, and chat with other
> gmail users.  Does anyone use the Google Sites?  Is that easy enough
> for a non-technical person to use?

As far as applications go.. no difference... maybe even can be seen as
less when you got with GAFYD (google apps for your domain) A gmail
account gives you access to all the google stuff - Picasa (sp?) adWord
accounts, etc.  A GAFYD account gives you access to Mails, Docs,
Calendar, Talk, Homepage, Pages.

As for the "bonus" with having GAFYD over a standard gmail account --
  1) you get your domain at the end of your email (important if you are
     a small business).
  2) Sharing can be controlled (only my domain, anyone with a gmail,
     anyone in the world)
  3) basically unlimited usernames (want to do your name
     "MichaelS at gmail.com" ... good luck with that :-)  )

There are probably more, but this is the major reasons we went with it at my school (and I have it personally because I use my account as a testing grounds).

--
http://gentgeen.homelinux.org