[wplug] domain question

Kevin Squire gentgeen at wikiak.org
Sun Jul 20 16:55:36 EDT 2008

On Sat, 19 Jul 2008 23:24:38 -0400
"Zach Uram" <netrek at gmail.com> wrote:

> So if I sign up with Google Apps domain they give me a domain name and
> provide the DNS servers?

You can buy one from there 3rd party vendor like I did for "wikiak.org" or you can "bring your own" like my school did for pavcsk12.org

Yep, check out http://www.wikiak.org  .. and then check out http://gentgeen.homelinux.org

> It says it addsa calendar, gmail, etc. for my domain but what exactly
> does that mean? So if someone sends mail to me at mydomain.org it will
> actually be going to a Gmail mailbox? What if I want to have
> www.mydomain.org point to a web server I am using (whether local or
> remote) and box.mydomain.org point to my public IP of my DSL at home
> so I can ssh into it without having to remember the ip will Google
> Apps let me do that?

Indirectly, yes.  It is all with the DNS settings. And Google uses a 3rd party to do the DNS stuff-- or as noted, you can continue to use your current.