[wplug] domain question

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Sat Jul 19 23:07:13 EDT 2008

Michael Semcheski wrote:
>> Yeah, you don't get the experience of setting everything up, but do you
>> really want that experience?  All of the startups that I've got good
>> knowledge of use Google Apps to.  I'm not so sure that those are skills you
>> really would want to build anyway.
>
> Once you have everything setup?  Its good to know how it all works --
> if for no other reason than that if you know how it all works, you can
> use it more effectively.
>
> Also, if you have a server that you can ssh to anywhere, it comes in
> _really_ handy.

If it just works, why would I ever need to SSH into it?  I've been using
google apps since the beta and never once have I ever needed to do anything
that would require SSH.  I don't worry about why postfix is rejecting mail,
configuring blackhole lists, quotas filling up, changing passwords, etc.

>> Anyway, that's my experience.  NearlyFreeSpeech, DynDNS, and Google Apps
>> have been awesome for me.
>
> My question about Google Apps -- is there any advantage to Google Apps
> over GMail?  Or is it basically just a gmail account with a custom
> domain?

Google apps basically provides all of the services you'd expect from Google
apps, but you can do some custom branding and domain name stuff.
Provides easy sharing and integration with calendars (makes it really easy
to share calendars with the family), jabber, etc.

--Patrick