[wplug] domain question

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Sat Jul 19 13:43:46 EDT 2008

Many registrars bundle services like URL forwarding and e-mail
forwarding.  I used to use GoDaddy and would not recommend them.
Their web administration interface is truly horrible, and they
will continually spam you to buy additional services.

Currently I am with 1&1 <http://1and1.com/> and am satisfied so
far.  DNS is included, as is URL forwarding and e-mail (either
forwarding or POP mailboxes).  If you have a static IP you may
wish to simply point DNS toward your own mail/web servers.  I do
not think they offer the type of failover service you want; for
that, you may be able to put something together using
<http://www.dyndns.com/> or similar.

I have seen others complain about downtime with 1&1's hosting, but
don't use it myself.  Domain services seem reliable, and the price
is certainly right.  I wouldn't recommend them for a corporate
domain (or even, say, WPLUG's domain) where you have to be
absolutely certain it will work 24/7, but for a personal domain
they work out quite nicely.