[wplug] USB video capture recommendations

James O'Kane jo2y at midnightlinux.com
Wed Jul 16 22:38:41 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 11:42 PM, Vance Kochenderfer <vkochend at nyx.net> wrote:
> "James O'Kane" <jo2y at midnightlinux.com> wrote:
>>
>> I'm looking for a USB video capture device. I can and have been doing
>> searches, what I'm asking the list for is any personal experience.
>
> Not my personal experience, but someone else's...
>
> The July issue of Linux Journal looked at several HDTV devices.

HD isn't a requirement, but it's likely that most new devices will have it.

> The two USB ones they reviewed were the Pinnacle PCTV HD Pro Stick
> and the Hauppage WinTV-HVR-950.  Both are based on the Empiatech
> EM2880 chipset which they got working with the development version
> of the v4l-dvb drivers (don't know its status regarding mainline).

Pinnacle was the name I was trying to remember. The PCTV device was on
woot recently and I bought one. I won't get it until I get back to the
office in August.

The part that concerns me is the KWorld device I already have is also
based on the em2880. Looking at the various wikis and some of the
code, it appears there are dozens of different things that use the
chip, and they each have small quirks that make them different.