[wplug] anyone using or planning on getting an openmoko?

Brian Sammon wplug-list at brisammon.fastmail.fm
Tue Jul 15 22:31:52 EDT 2008

> does anyone in pittsburgh have, or plan on getting one of these?
>
> http://www.openmoko.com/product.html
>
> I would really like to hold one of these in my hand and check one out
> for myself.  I'm also trying to find out what kind of voice/data plans
> are available for one of these, through, i'd assume in the pittsburgh
> area, deathstar and t-mobile.  I hate att, see their recent liquid

I'm planning on getting one of these FreeRunner phones.
As far as I can tell, the two main networks around here are AT&T and T-Mobile.
However, there are some resellers if you'd prefer to get your customer support
from another company.
I'm planning on going with pre-paid, and for that purpose
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/ looks like a good source of information.  Almost
any of the providers listed there should be compatible with the FreeRunner
(Some of the providers say something about requiring "Cingular-approved",
which the FreeRunner is not -- I'm not sure if/how that's enforced)

P.S. Another website that is good is http://www.cellguru.net/prepaid_compare.ht
m but it mixes in GSM providers (which should work with the FreeRunner) with
other types (CDMA and iDen, which don't work with the FreeRunner)