[wplug] any way to loopback-mount a compressed filesystem image?

Eric Cooper ecc at cmu.edu
Thu Jan 31 16:13:10 EST 2008

Whenever I have a compressed filesystem image that I want to mount, I
have to first gunzip it before doing "mount image_file /mnt -o loop".
(I'm talking about an image of a "conventional" filesystem, like ext2
or vfat, which has been gzipped -- not a "compressed filesystem" like
squashfs.)

Is there any way to avoid uncompressing it first, perhaps using some
FUSE module? I wouldn't mind if it only provides read-only access.