[wplug] Visual Presentation for Code Understanding

chandan datta chandan.edge at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 17:19:55 EST 2008

Hi ,
I'm trying to the understand the inner mechanisms of Linux from process
scheduling to memory management by looking at the kernel source code,to
create a real time patch . Do you know of any code visualization tools that
help to understand the  navigation through software elements   , so that i
can  know the call graphs and structure hierarchies, and textual
representations, such as cross-reference listings.

This would help me to know the program flow and kernel design.

I'm also  posed with the challenge of reading huge amounts of open-source
code which are often not  well documented ,so its pretty difficult to read
through those thousand lines of code to understand the
functionality.Isthere any IDE or code analysis tools which can show
function calls and class
diagrams ? On Windows Visual Studio often often a good job in this regard.

--
Regards,
Chandan.