[wplug] Mailman and Postfix

Christopher DeMarco demarco at maya.com
Thu Jan 24 09:33:20 EST 2008

On Thu, Jan 24, 2008 at 06:34:54AM -0500, Jonathan S. Billings wrote:

> > When do we change the DNS records and how do we coordinate that with
> > moving the lists?
>
> I see you don't have an MX record for wplug.org.  I suggest creating
> one NOW, referring to penguin.wplug.org and with a low TTL, like 5
> minutes, so you can switch it over quickly when you do want to make
> the move.  That way, when you want to move the lists over to linode,
> it's as simple as updating the MX record with the new A record.

Better yet:

Create *two* MX records; a low value for the current one and a high
for the new one.  Once you're ready to go with the new host,
disable/firewall/whatever the old host, and mail will automagically
flow to the new one.  If you wanna failback to the old host, simply
turn it back on and voila!

But, yeah -- you kinda need an MX.  Here are some subtleties re:
interaction between DNS and mail transfer:

    http://bind8nt.meiway.com/itsaDNSmess.cfm

It's written to Exchange, but the principles are general.

--
Christopher DeMarco <demarco at maya.com>
Information Technology Supervisor