[wplug] Highpoint Rocket 100 IDE ATA disk controller card

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Mon Jan 14 14:14:27 EST 2008

Sam Al-Droubi <saldroubi at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am not very savvy with Linux.  I would appreciate
> any help in figuring out how to fish out the error and/or boot in text
> mode.  On Ubuntu I only get the GUI status bar which freezes.  Anything
> in /var/log I should be looking for?

You can get more diagnostics by removing the "quiet" and "splash"
boot options as described in
<https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GrubHowto>.

The "dmesg" command is probably the place you want to look for log
info, though /var/log/syslog or /var/log/messages could also have
something useful.  If the system hangs early in the boot process,
it's possible the logs won't have anything relevant.

I'm not really a Ubuntu guy so these are generic suggestions.