[wplug] vnc over ssh

Arnaud Loos arnaud at arnaudloos.com
Thu Jan 10 15:28:06 EST 2008

I'm looking for a way to remote into my ubuntu pc from a windows machine. I
explored FreeNX for a bit but decided VNC over SSH was better (easier) to
set up. I know that Gutsy comes with a VNC server builtin and I was already
running SSH. The guide I am following installs the tightvnc server component
and openssh. I am curious how the overlap of vnc server and tightvncserver
as well as ssh with openssh will work. Should I uninstall the original vnc
and ssh and then install tightvnc and openssh? Should I ignore the guide
recommendation and just use vnc and ssh and attempt to configure as
directed? The guide is located at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/VNCOverSSH.

I'm curious also if there's a strong argument for whether to run
vnc/tightvnc and ssh/openssh? Does anyone regard one as being better than
the other?

Thanks.
Arnaud-