[wplug] Web Hosting with Mono

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Fri Jan 4 12:52:21 EST 2008

DK wrote:
> As a compromise, I thought we could use a web host that supports Mono
> (http://www.mono-project.com/) while still allowing us to use the
> MySQL database I have created.
>
> Has anyone had experience with GrokThis (http://www.grokthis.net/) or
> another host that supports Mono?  Has anyone has experience, good or
> bad, using Mono?

I have pretty good experience using Mono and mod_mono under apache to serve
ASP.Net stuff.  It's very slick and impressive how easy stuff can move over
from the traditional .NET world to Mono.  The compiler for Mono isn't quite
there yet, but for most everything up to C# version 2, you'll be in good
shape.  There is some preliminary support of LINQ in Mono, which is really
sweet.

I never encountered stability issues using mod_mono, but this was a service
with only a moderate workload.  I'm also not sure how well maintained it is
 right now.  If you want evidence of a robust mono service, check out
govtrack.us.

Hope this helps!

--Patrick