[wplug] users sending to wrong email address

Kevin Squire gentgeen at linuxmail.org
Thu Jan 3 11:29:29 EST 2008

I am running the school's email server. Due to PEBKAC I see a lot of
this:
  connect to pavcs.blackboard.org[66.246.195.42]: Connection timed out

Seems as though many of our users are trying to email
USERNAME at pavcs.blackboard.org when it should be a .com

The server does it's job, and tries to connect, even tries a few times,
then of course, times out cause blackboard.org is just a "page squatter"

I was wondering if I could edit my /etc/hosts file on the mail server
(that is all it is - a mail server) to point pavcs.blackboard.org to an
internal machine ... or some other solution to speed up (and therefore
reduce load) the "timed out" message.

I still want users to get the error message... let them know they are
doing something wrong - so simply redirecting is not OK in this case.
Just want to speed the process along some.

--
http://gentgeen.homelinux.org