[wplug] XBox 360 controller with Linux

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Wed Jan 2 09:52:36 EST 2008

Ben wrote:
> I would like to use my XBox 360 controller on my Ubuntu 7.10 machine.
> Does anyone know of a good way to do this. The only way I have seen to
> do this so far requires recompiling the kernel.

While you shouldn't need to recompile the entire kernel, USB devices are
handled at the kernel level (unless they use the generic interface, which
the XBox 360 controllers don't).  Much of what you read about recompiling
the kernel is really just recompiling modules.

There's a thread on Ubuntu forums that seems simplified enough for folks
who aren't familiar with the process.  See the note about moving the file
around.

As a disclaimer, I haven't done this with a 360 controller.  But I can say
that the Wii Guitar Hero controller works just fine with my laptop and
Frets on Fire.  Of course, to get that you need the Wii version of Guitar
Hero III, which is loads better than Frets on Fire.

--Patrick