[wplug] Ubuntu mouse problem

Zach netrek at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 20:31:17 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 29, 2008 at 2:07 PM, Brie Gordon <brie.gordon at gmail.com> wrote:
> What kind of machine is it? Laptop or desktop? Dell?

Hi Brie,

Dell Latitude C600 laptop - ~8 years old.

> I have a Dell laptop that has a mouse race condition and it sounds like
> that's what you have. I'm not sure how to cure it in Ubuntu, though . . .

I found some more info in /var/log/Xorg.0.log:

(**) Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
(**) Configured Mouse: Device: "/dev/input/mice"
(**) Configured Mouse: Protocol: "ExplorerPS/2"
(**) Option "CorePointer"
(**) Configured Mouse: Core Pointer
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
(**) Option "Emulate3Buttons" "true"
(**) Configured Mouse: Emulate3Buttons, Emulate3Timeout: 50
(**) Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
(**) Configured Mouse: ZAxisMapping: buttons 4 and 5
(**) Configured Mouse: Buttons: 9
(**) Option "SendCoreEvents"
(**) stylus: always reports core events
(**) stylus device is /dev/wacom
(**) stylus is in absolute mode
(**) stylus: forcing TabletPC ISD V4 protocol
(**) WACOM: suppress value is 2
(**) Option "BaudRate" "9600"
(**) stylus: serial speed 9600
(**) Option "SendCoreEvents"
(**) cursor: always reports core events
(**) cursor device is /dev/wacom
(**) cursor is in relative mode
(**) cursor: forcing TabletPC ISD V4 protocol
(**) WACOM: suppress value is 2
(**) Option "BaudRate" "9600"
(**) cursor: serial speed 9600
(**) Option "SendCoreEvents"
(**) eraser: always reports core events
(**) eraser device is /dev/wacom
(**) eraser is in absolute mode
(**) eraser: forcing TabletPC ISD V4 protocol
(**) WACOM: suppress value is 2
(**) Option "BaudRate" "9600"
(**) eraser: serial speed 9600
(II) Synaptics touchpad driver version 0.14.3
Synaptics Touchpad no synaptics event device found (checked 13 nodes)
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
(**) Option "HorizScrollDelta" "0"
Query no Synaptics: 6003C8
(EE) Synaptics Touchpad no synaptics touchpad detected and no repeater device
(EE) Synaptics Touchpad Unable to query/initialize Synaptics hardware.
(EE) PreInit failed for input device "Synaptics Touchpad"
(II) UnloadModule: "synaptics"
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "eraser" (type: Wacom Eraser)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "cursor" (type: Wacom Cursor)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "stylus" (type: Wacom Stylus)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Configured Mouse" (type: MOUSE)
(II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Generic Keyboard" (type: KEYBOARD)
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/wacom"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/wacom
        No such file or directory.
Error opening /dev/wacom : No such file or directory
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/wacom
        No such file or directory.
Error opening /dev/wacom : No such file or directory
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/wacom"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/wacom
        No such file or directory.
Error opening /dev/wacom : No such file or directory
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/wacom
        No such file or directory.
Error opening /dev/wacom : No such file or directory
(**) Option "Device" "/dev/wacom"
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/wacom
        No such file or directory.
Error opening /dev/wacom : No such file or directory
(EE) xf86OpenSerial: Cannot open device /dev/wacom
        No such file or directory.
Error opening /dev/wacom : No such file or directory
(II) Configured Mouse: ps2EnableDataReporting: succeeded
SetGrabKeysState - disabled
SetGrabKeysState - enabled
[...]

Note that I disabled the touchpad in the BIOS so I don't know why it
is trying to set it up.

> I sense much NT in you.
> NT leads to Bluescreen.
> Bluescreen leads to downtime.