[wplug] HD problems

Shawn Zier shawnzier at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 21:11:53 EST 2008

> When I boot into Ubuntu Live CD it automatically finds the disk and
> mounts it but unless some USB drivers are loaded at the boot stage I
> guess it won't be aware of its' existence but USB drivers are only
> loaded when the kernel is booting so it looks like I'm stuck in a
> Catch-22 situation.
Zack:

I know there is a way to do it because I was trying to figure it out a
while back when my laptop drive went down. I think your BIOS has to
support it. Seeing as your laptop is 8yrs old, it might not.

It looks like there are ways around having a BIOS that supports usb
booting directly. This page explains how to boot an Ubuntu system which
is installed on a USB device when the computer does not support USB
booting directly:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootFromUSB

Have fun.

Shawn