[wplug] VmWare

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Wed Feb 27 12:07:29 EST 2008

Mackenzie Morgan wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 10:49 AM, Sam Al-Droubi <saldroubi at yahoo.com
> <mailto:saldroubi at yahoo.com>> wrote:
>

>     I have used both vmware server, vmware workstation and virtualbox.
>     I found that virtualbox was easier to setup on both Windows and
>     Linux hosts.   Additionally, I feel that virtualbox performs better
>     than vmware but I did not benchmark this myself.  Lastly, virtualbox
>     is open-source.   Check out this link for benchmark results if you
>     are interested:
>
>     http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=257727
>

> I don't see any real benchmarks, just people saying what felt faster and
> whatnot.
>
> http://www.linux-gamers.net/smartsection.item.56/virtualbox-vs-qemu.html
> has numbers.  The bold numbers tell you who wins.  Looks like Qemu still
> wins on most of them, but the ones where it loses, it loses *bad*.  If
> you don't need graphics, Qemu might be best.  Virtualbox is the fastest
> on graphics, though.  VMWare just plain sucks.  It won in one event, and
> that was Download Speed.

Not to sound like a VMWare apologist here, but the test was done,
admittedly by the authors of test, without the VMWare accelerated drivers.
  That makes a huge difference.  Also, they tested the free version of
VMWare, not VMWare Workstation, which gets you some other nice features and
a speed bonus.

--Patrick