[wplug] VmWare

Michael Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 11:12:29 EST 2008

On Wed, Feb 27, 2008 at 9:27 AM, Patrick Wagstrom <patrick at wagstrom.net> wrote:
> Weber, Lawrence A wrote:
>  > For embedded product development I usually use PC's dedicated to either
>  > Linux or Windows.  Dual booting is a pain.

As Patrick mentioned, the main two limitations of vmware (and most
virtualization software) are poor disk IO performance, and the lack of
direct access to the hardware.  This definitely comes into play if you
have specialized devices you are developing for.  It also is a major
factor if you need to do any 3D graphics.  You can have a pretty great
graphics card, but to the guest OS, its pretty generic and has little
or not acceleration.

>  VMWare server is not designed to be directly interacted with -- especially
>  version 2 (which has a hokey web interface).  VMWare Workstation also has
>  some nice features for creating snapshots, etc.

I disagree with this statement.  The latest Server and Workstation are
very similar.  There are a couple of things you can't do with Server
that you can with Workstation.  But, there are actually some nice
things you can do with server that you can't do with workstation.
Interface wise, the two are very similar.  Workstation lets you move
virtual machines from one host to another a little more easilly.
Server lets you have VM's run as a service, and run automatically when
you boot the computer.