[wplug] flash player crashing in firefox

Brian W. Snyder brian at teamsnyder.net
Wed Feb 20 23:09:46 EST 2008

Justin Ehrlichman wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am running PClinuxOS 2007 and I am having some issues with flash. It
> seems to crash intermitently when viewing youtube videos. I am running
> firefox version 2.0.0.12 and downloaded version 9.0.115.0 of flash from
> adobe's website. Has anyone every run into something like this?

I've had similar problems. The only commonality I've found was that my
'older versions of the distro' had the problem, but the newer ones did not.

For example: FF 2.0.0.latest running Flash 9.latest - Flash crashed the
browser often on my laptop (Mandrake 9.2, 2.4 kernel) and an alternate
desktop (Slack 10.2, 2.4 kernel). However, Slackware 12 with FF
2.0.0.latest and Flash 9.latest on both my other desktop and other
laptop, Firefox never crashes with Flash.

Again, that's the only thing I've observed and it looks like this is
unlikely in your case.

In the older systems, I tried putting the flashplayer.xpt and
libflashplayer.so in every Mozilla plugin directory I could find but to
no avail.

My workaround ended up being keeping copies of both the Flash 7 and
Flash 9 files listed above and dropping them into the my home
.mozilla/plugins/ directory as needed. I noticed that the browser would
only crash when Flash 8 or higher was required. If a site didn't have
such a restriction, both 7 and 9 would work fine. The downside, of
course, was that it was a nuisance to switch back and forth and copy the
  two Flash 7 or  Flash 9 files to the Mozilla plugins directory and
that I could not view any sites that specifically required Flash 8 or
above; no great loss there, really. lol

I don't know if any of this helps but maybe if enough people share what
their problems are, perhaps a common trait can be found.

All of this made me think of trying Gnash. Has anyone tried it?

--

Brian

KB3QHA

http://www.brianwsnyder.com/pblog/