[wplug] Passing AT commands direct to modem?

larry at daberko.com larry at daberko.com
Mon Feb 18 16:03:15 EST 2008

My employer is wanting to automatically forward our main lines to an
answering service after hours.  The answer was to set up a linux box to
dial the numbers needed.

I have the AT command string and I tested it with cu -l /dev/ttyS0
interactively.  The string is:
ATDT*72W412-555-1234@;H
(for those who don't know... W=wait for dialtone, @=wait for silence)

Now how do I send that via a script?  I don't see a way for cu to pass the
string from the command line.  And for some reason, echo ATDT... >
/dev/ttyS0 has no effect.

Linux Fedora Core 6 is the OS.

I'm open to troubleshooting the echo issue or using another program.  This
is the last hurdle in my way.

Thanks,
LBD