[wplug] Linux network security poll

Kevin Squire gentgeen at wikiak.org
Mon Feb 18 11:23:13 EST 2008

It looks like I am a little bit late to the conversation.. but I wanted to
through in my own personal fav.  I use IPCop (www.ipcop.org) as my gateway.
For the longest time, it was installed on a P1 machine with 64MB ram.  (now
it is up to a 500Mhz with 128MB ram)

My IPCop box has 3 NICs (you can get away with just 2 depending on your
needs)

My connection looks like this:

Cable Modem -- IPCop Box ---  NIC1 goes to my home network (refered to as
"green zone")
                                        ---  NIC2 goes to my server (this is
the "orange zone")

IPCop was REALLY easy to set up, very secure, and gives me a lot more
options then just some little off the shelf home router.  It also has
allowed me to learn a lot more about networking, and security - without
being overwhelmed.

I have really enjoyed it, and suggest it to anyone who does not mind the
extra electric drain (compare a off the shelf router with a full computer).

On 2/9/08, Zach <netrek at gmail.com> wrote:

> I need to get serious about security since I will be soon connected to
> the net almost 24x7 (barring a power outage etc.) so I was wondering
> if list members could explain their security setup (network
> configuration, DMZ, firewalls, IDS, logging, etc.). Also what would
> you recommend for someone like me who is still on an entry level in
> terms of my understanding of Linux and network security and what would
> recommend for later on down the road once I get more sophisticated? I
> run Debian lenny with a 2.6.18 kernel. I will be getting ADSL next
> week and plan on having a DSL modem/router doing NAT. I only have one
> machine now but plan on adding another one within the next 3 months or
> so.
>
> Zach

http://gentgeen.homelinux.org

Associate yourself with men of good quality if you esteem
your own reputation; for 'tis better to be alone then in bad
company.        - George Washington, Rules of Civility