[wplug] firewall interface

Jonathan S. Billings wbanguna at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 14:55:32 EST 2008

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 02:09:54PM -0500, Zach wrote:
> On Feb 12, 2008 7:50 AM, Jonathan S. Billings <wbanguna at gmail.com> wrote:
> .>
> > In either case, you'll be using your ethernet device (eth0).  If you
> > are using the router/firewall device, your laptop will get an RFC 1918
> > private network IP (such as 192.167.0.2), but if you are connected
> > directly to the DSL "modem", you'll be assigned a publicly routable
> > IP.  Both cases will use your ethernet device.

Oops, typo on my part, 192.167.0.2 isn't in an RFC1918 network, I
meant 192.168.0.2.

> Ok so I still use my static IP either way, just if I go with router
> then I use NAT and map private addresses assigned by DHCP to the
> publicly visible static IP they give me (is that what world/publicly
> routable means?).

If you use the "router", you'll just set your laptop to use DHCP and
you'll have network connectivity, no need to configure anything.  Most
likely you'll have to configure the router to use PPPoE, but that's
not too terribly difficult.

If you aren't using the NAT router, you'll have to configure your
laptop to use PPPoE on the ethernet device.  This can be easy if your
distro supports it, and painful if it does not.  I think that's why a
lot of people are recommending the NAT box.  It isn't as simple as
configuring a static IP.

--
Jonathan Billings <wbanguna at gmail.com>