[wplug] Re: Archiving audio (high fidelity)?

Bob Supansic rsupansic at libcom.com
Mon Feb 11 10:16:20 EST 2008

From: Zach <netrek at gmail.com>
> I have a high end CD player and a medium end LP player and wonder
> precisely how I can transfer these to DVD?

There are inexpensive cables you can buy from Radio Shack to connect
your amplifier to the "Line In" jack on your sound card.  Make sure you
specify a stereo cable and (probably) an RCA-type jack.  That is all you
need to send the audio output to your sound card.
> I would like to maintain the highest possible fidelity so even dumping
> to .WAV or .FLAC is fine with me.  Also I want to remove any cracks or pops from the LPs (especially)before archiving.

To remove scratches, clicks, pops, and skips, you will have to capture
the amplifier output in a file and manually edit the file.
I use Goldwave for this but it is a Windows application. I am sure there
are Linux audio editors out there.