[wplug] Archiving audio (high fidelity)?

Jason Freshwater jdfreshwater at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 22:59:52 EST 2008

Tom Rhodes wrote:
> On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 17:26:14 -0500
> Zach <netrek at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> I would like to transfer my collection of LPs (record albums) and
>> audio cassette tapes onto optical media for archival.
>>
>> I have a high end CD player and a medium end LP player and wonder
>> precisely how I can transfer these to DVD?
>>
>> I would like to maintain the highest possible fidelity so even dumping
>> to .WAV or .FLAC is fine with me.
>>
>> I have audio cables with gold plated connectors and my CD player is
>> connected to a powered amplifier.
>>
>> Also I want to remove any cracks or pops from the LPs (especially)
>> before archiving.
>>
>> What settings should my amplifier have (or the sound card) when I do this?
>>
>> I have a relatively cheap sound card so what sound card would you
>> recommend for this project (it must be Linux friendly)?
>>
>> I saw this USB device (apparently it uses a custom USB board to do the
>> D/A conversion with claimed high fidelity) Xitel Import Deluxe device
>> at Radio Shack:
>> http://www.xitel.com/USA/prod_inportdl.htm
>>
>> But it only seems to save to MP3 and comes with MS Windows software only.
>>
>> If you can be as specific as possible that would really help
>> (hardware, software, procedures, tips, etc.)
>>

> When recording audio conversations from my hand heald tape
> recorder, I plugged the cable into my mic port and used
> a standard audio recorder to create .wav files.  Came out
> pretty good.  Not sure what program you could use on Linux
> to accomplish the same but it's a start.

The best thing to do in recording LP's is to use some software like
audacity (open source)  This will allow you to filter the recording
after it is made.  The pops and hisses are from the record itself, and
the way the analog signal works.  This can be removed after it has been
recorded.  As far as a sound card, I would go with any 24 bit sound card
on a standard Desktop computer.  Make sure you use the LINE IN port to
get STEREO.  The Mic port generally only gives mono, which is fine for
voice but sucky for music.  I personally Like My regular old Sound
Blaster Audigy 2 Card, and it runs fine in linux.  If you needed a new
one I know they are definatly under 100 dollars.  I've been meaning to
really try this with my own LP's but have not found the right time.  The
best thing to do is experiment a little with amplifiers or no amp.
Remember when you amplify the signal, you also amplify the noise, so it
may take a little bit of sampling to get the settings just right.

Good Luck

Jason