[wplug] Measuring & optimizing broadband speed

Brian A. Seklecki lavalamp at spiritual-machines.org
Sat Feb 9 20:41:31 EST 2008

> Also I got some advice on how to setup my ADSL line I'm getting next
> week but no one mentioned using the "route" command and setting up the

You'll be doing default routing with an ADSL endpoint.  You'll have one
gateway, one metric, and one netmask.

Optimization isn't a foregone conclusion, but its mostly at layer 5->7
at this point.  That's why computers aren't getting any faster -- people
are writing better code.

The default MTU of 1500 is expected by the ADSL bridge (note that its a
bridge, not a 'Modem' -- there is no analog/digital conversion in the
traditional sense).  They're shredding Ethernet frames into ATM cells.

Your performance will vary greatly depending most upon the BGP peering
arrangements of your ISP (know as the "BGP View").  A diverse BGP view
allows for a shorter number of 3rd party network transits between your
source packets and the destination host.

I would recommend reading CCNA material to get an intimate level
understanding of concepts such as OSI Layers, Routing,
Switching/Bridging, VLANs, TCP/IP.  Look in a used book store.

As for your other question about 'network security' -- its best to think
of security as a process.  A process by which an individual with an
expert-level understanding of Protocols, Vendors, & Standards can
implement technology "in a secure way" or "using secure design
principals".

e.g., the journey not the destination.

When the kiddies portscan your machine and see no TCP sockets listening,
they'll move on.

~BAS

> routing table (gateway, metrics, netmask). Is that not necessary in my
> case?
>
> Zach
Brian A. Seklecki <bseklecki at collaborativefusion.com>
Collaborative Fusion, Inc.