[wplug] Archiving audio (high fidelity)?

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Sat Feb 9 18:19:24 EST 2008

On Sat, 9 Feb 2008 17:26:14 -0500
Zach <netrek at gmail.com> wrote:

> I would like to transfer my collection of LPs (record albums) and
> audio cassette tapes onto optical media for archival.
>
> I have a high end CD player and a medium end LP player and wonder
> precisely how I can transfer these to DVD?
>
> I would like to maintain the highest possible fidelity so even dumping
> to .WAV or .FLAC is fine with me.
>
> I have audio cables with gold plated connectors and my CD player is
> connected to a powered amplifier.
>
> Also I want to remove any cracks or pops from the LPs (especially)
> before archiving.
>
> What settings should my amplifier have (or the sound card) when I do this?
>
> I have a relatively cheap sound card so what sound card would you
> recommend for this project (it must be Linux friendly)?
>
> I saw this USB device (apparently it uses a custom USB board to do the
> D/A conversion with claimed high fidelity) Xitel Import Deluxe device
> at Radio Shack:
> http://www.xitel.com/USA/prod_inportdl.htm
>
> But it only seems to save to MP3 and comes with MS Windows software only.
>
> If you can be as specific as possible that would really help
> (hardware, software, procedures, tips, etc.)

When recording audio conversations from my hand heald tape
recorder, I plugged the cable into my mic port and used
a standard audio recorder to create .wav files.  Came out
pretty good.  Not sure what program you could use on Linux
to accomplish the same but it's a start.

--
Tom Rhodes