Resolved (was: Re: [wplug] 4GB Ram not seen by Linux kernel)

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Fri Feb 8 22:43:52 EST 2008

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 09:19:47 -0500
Eric Cooper <ecc at cmu.edu> wrote:

> You need a kernel compiled with CONFIG_HIGHMEM4G=y.

Figured it out.  It's the motherboard.  Even though it states that
it allows for 4GB of memory, and sees 4GB memory, and Intel's
tech support noted that some of that RAM is being used for
critical functions of the motherboard (PCI express configuration
space, et. al.).

This is considerably frustrating, and I'm astonished that all the
while this machine was running, I had never noticed it ...

Sorry for the noise everyone.  :)

--
Tom Rhodes