[wplug] Core duos?

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 13:54:42 EST 2008

On Feb 8, 2008 2:20 AM, Zach <netrek at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm not getting a system yet but plan on doing so in a few months. If
> I get a core duo processor do I need a special linux kernel or must I
> enable something to make full use of the CPUs? BTW would this count as
> a SMP system (1 CPU or 2 CPUs?)?
>
> PS: Does anyone know of a site with good Linux friendly desktop
> systems besides www.madtux.org? I want to get the most for my
> relatively meager budget of $300 to $400 :-)

Yes, to SMP

Do you have a monitor/speakers/keyboard already?  If so, $336 on
zareason.com will get you:
core 2 duo 1.6ghz
1gb ram
80gb hdd
cd-rw/dvd-rw
intel gma950 graphics
ubuntu-preinstalled (but it's all linux-friendly and the warranty doesn't
care if you change it)

nvidia 256mb instead of intel shared-memory graphics would take it up to
$395

--
Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169