[wplug] Linux Compatible External Drives

beer at cmu.edu beer at cmu.edu
Wed Feb 6 11:48:51 EST 2008

While I appreciate the input from everyone I think you all are providing
solutions to a question I didnt ask.

My question isnt:

'How do I mount an external drive to a linux system?',

it is:

 'Is anyone aware of an external drive usb/firewire drive with native
support for linux?'

I appreciate the fact that there are a lot of diy solutions to mounting a
drive to linux but these do not support my actual needs.  External drives
with native support for OS X and Solaris do exist so it didnt seem that much
of a stretch that they might exist for linux too but I have as of yet not
found one.

I am not simply trying to add a single drive to my system.  I will be
distributing large volumes of data using external drives hundreds of times a
year.  And while an hour is not a great deal of time to spend making a
change to a personal system, when you are passing along the cost of that
hour to your customer it adds up.  Thus I was simply trying to avoid some
labor in the process to make it more efficient and cost effective.

In addition drives that support these systems natively come with
preinstalled utilities for encryption and such that I wished to use.

Again thanks for the input guys but I think I got my answer, no one on the
list is aware of such a device.

Thanks again

-b