[wplug] DSL prep

Greg Simkins gregsim at telerama.com
Wed Feb 6 09:10:56 EST 2008

I recently purchased DSL from Nidhog.  I like the fact that I can get
Jeff on the phone nearly any time.

The DSL modem has several lights.  The one that is marked DSL blinks
green while it is handshaking with the service.  It turns solid green
when it detects the DSL.  Then whatever router you have can log in to
the DSL connection that is already indicated.

It was a piece of cake at my home.  I initially connected with a
Linksys router, then later had my friend set up a firewall using
pfSense (www.pfsense.com) installed on a WRAP   (http://m0n0.ch/wall/hardware.php
).  In addition to the static IP that addresses my modem, Nidhog
routed a block of IPs which I can use behind the firewall where my
servers reside.  I have several servers connected at present.

My son is presently in process of getting the Nidhog DSL installed.
He has had major problems making the connection.  The DSL light is
solid indicating the DSL is there, but I can't get on the Internet.
Jeff says that Verizon misconfigured it because my login attempts are
not hitting his authentication server.  It has been multiple weeks
getting fixed.  This is unusual.  Perhaps Nidhog is getting busy.

I am sure you will be satisfied.  I hope you have lotsa fun with your
new network.

Greg