[wplug] FC8 Updater

Weber, Lawrence A laweber at switch.com
Fri Feb 1 13:11:15 EST 2008

I must first apologize for asking this question again.  I had the same,
or very similar problem with Fedora Core 6 a year or more ago.  At that
time I received several answers from wplug members.  Some worked, others
didn't, and I am not sure what corrected the problem.  The problem exist
again for a new installation of FC 8.

The Problem:
When I try to run the Package Updater, I get a prompt for root password
which I enter.  I then get an Error box saying that the system is
"Unable to retrieve software information.  This could be caused by not
having a network connection available."

I have entered the network proxy and authentication info through the GUI
and in Firefox.  The browser has web access.

Is there someplace else I need to provide proxy / authentication  info?
Or, is there something else I am missing here?

Whatever I did last time was a permanent fix as the system would work
o.k. after reset.

I do remember several member suggesting I use YUM Extender which I have
not installed on this PC yet.