[wplug] VPS?

Vance Kochenderfer vkochend at nyx.net
Sun Dec 28 21:47:45 EST 2008

Chris Teodorski wrote:
> On 12/27/08, Zach Uram <netrek at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Can someone recommend a good, cheap VPS provider in the US?
>
> I'd also highly recommend quantact.  I've been with them ever since
> having some horrible customer service experiences with linode about 3
> years ago.

Not sure what problems you've experienced with Linode, but it's
been running WPLUG's server for about eight months now with no
trouble.  The only downtime was a forced reboot when they migrated
the server from User Mode Linux to Xen.  We are consuming only a
small fraction of the available CPU and bandwidth.

We have not really tested their customer support; I think the only
support ticket we've submitted was a change to our billing plan,
and it was handled quickly and painlessly.

As far as I've seen, the only real negative is that their Atlanta
data center filters a number of ports
<http://www.linode.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2625>, although you
can easily ask to be migrated to Newark, Dallas, or Fremont.  It
also might be more expensive ($20/mo.) than you want.