[wplug] SOLVED: Verizon DSL with Linksys RV042

DK wplug at curlynoodle.com
Thu Dec 25 21:09:14 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 11:40 AM, Will Rodina <wrodina at gmail.com> wrote:

> Well... what was the magic setting you had to adjust? :)

I knew that the Westell modem needed to be configured for "bridge"
mode, thereby preventing it from establishing the PPPoE session and
operating as a router.  The modem need only to link the DSL to
Ethernet, my Linksys router would then take care of the WAN session
and routing.  Also, the modem "Walled Garden" needs to be disabled.
This setting is discussed on several forums; simply browse:
http://192.168.1.1/verizon/redirect on the modem's GUI and click
DISABLE.

However, I could not find the appropriate configuration page for
bridging on the modem's GUI.  I read several forum posts on how to
make the change, but the information is dated as Verizon appeared to
have modified the GUI.  However, I discovered a Westell manual which
not only helped me find the page, but explained the how and why
"bridge" and other modes.

If anyone would like this manual, feel free to visit
http://www.curlynoodle.com/vz_westell.pdf

Another step in getting Verizon DSL working was to call tech support
and ask for a temporary Verizon Online username and password.  This
allows one to create an account (also the PPPoE login) without needing
to run the Windows-only account activation utility.

Dave