[wplug] Lost X server

Jonathan Billings billings at negate.org
Wed Dec 17 15:33:34 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 02:35:48PM -0500, Weber, Lawrence A wrote:
> I recently upgraded a Fedora Core 6 installation to Fedora 9.  The
> system was set to use the gnome desktop.  Upon completion the system
> boots to a text screen.  X server does not appear to be running
> (although it ran during the installation).
>
> Running startx responds with the error "No devices detected".
>
> Then after a pause,
> no screens found
> giving up.
>
> xinit: Connection refused (error 111) unable to connect to X server.
> xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.
>
> Any ideas what went wrong or how to recover?

Sounds like your X server isn't set up.  I suspect something in the
old Xorg.conf is breaking it.

Try moving /etc/X11/xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.backup, and
running 'startx' again.  It should autodetect the display and set up
the X environment automatically.

If the file doesn't exist there already, you'll probably need to set
up an xorg.conf, which is a bit more complex and not something to get
into simply.  Try the above first, then get back to the list.