[wplug] Any thoughts on Alpha 400 MIPS Linux Ultralite Notebook

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Thu Aug 28 16:30:01 EDT 2008

David Tessitor wrote:
> I just noticed a week or so ago that Geeks.com now has an Alpha 400 MIPS
> 400MHz 128MB 1GB 7" Linux Ultralite Notebook for $199.  That's half the
> price of the Nokia n810.  Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts
> about the  MIPS Ultralite as opposed to other comparable things on the
> market now.

I can't really see any reason for buying something like this.  You can go
on eBay and pick up an IBM X (like an X30) series for about the same price
and get a real laptop that works on Linux.  They're great little devices
and still very small.

The bear minimum price for a decent usable netbook is currently around $400
or so.  I'm referring to a machine that runs Linux, a desktop, firefox, etc.

--Patrick