[wplug] wplug operations (we wplug presentations)

Michael Semcheski mhsemcheski at gmail.com
Wed Aug 27 20:22:31 EDT 2008

Just to flesh things out a bit...  There was a significant amount of
work undertaken to improve the long-term internet presence for WPLUG.
It involved procuring a virtual server, transitioning a significant
amount of content from the website to the wiki, moving lots the
mailing lists, putting the DNS records under the control of the WPLUG
board, etc.  No one was paid for their effort or their time.

There's still a lot left to do, especially regarding sorting out the
membership roles, standardizing the operating procedures that keep
things running, and generally figuring out how to make WPLUG more
valuable to the members and the community.

This is a message for everyone, regardless of the skills you possess
or the experience you have.  Don't wait for other people.  Your local
Linux User's Group needs you... badly.  The WPLUG board elections are
coming up, and that represents an opportunity to step up.    I can
promise you that you will get out what you put in.

I bring this up because that wiki didn't magically replace the old
website.  We debated it to death and ultimately came up with a
compromise that we felt would work going forward.  If anyone has a
better idea on how anything regarding this group should be done, you
are encouraged to email info at wplug.org, or send me an email, or send
Vance an email, or wplug-board at wplug.org.

Speaking for myself though, ideas and suggestions carry a lot more
weight if the people making them are ready to roll up their sleeves
and work with others to make things better.  We are open to
suggestions, improvements, and new ways of thinking.  So feel free to
make suggestions.  Just be aware that we are all constrained by time,
so suggestions will be taken as a statement of willingness to
volunteer!

Zach, I think you should be able to find most of the old presentations
via the wiki.  Speak up again if you can't.

Mike