[wplug] good movie editors for linux

Patrick Wagstrom patrick at wagstrom.net
Tue Aug 26 16:00:21 EDT 2008

Justin Ehrlichman wrote:
> Does anyone know of any good movie editors for linux that are simple to
> use such as windows movie maker and imovie? In addition one that is not
> buggy and supports common codecs.

You can choose one of the following:

404 NOT FOUND
501 NOT IMPLEMENTED
402 PAYMENT REQUIRED

404 NOT FOUND
You'll probably have some people direct you to projects like Avidemux,
Pitivi, and kdenlive.  They'll talk about how great they are and how they
can "do everything windows movie maker can".  Don't believe them, they
can't.  I've tried them and while Pitivi is the most promising and has the
most sane interface, it really just isn't there yet.  GStreamer wasn't
designed to be an editing framework and it shows with Pitivi.   Avidemux
generally kinda works, but not so well -- it can cut and all that, but
don't expect to be able to lay down another track.  I've had moderate
success with kdenlive, but it crashes a lot.  It's enough for me to make
some quick youtube stuff, however.

501 NOT IMPLEMENTED
Cinelerra might be the best choice overall, but good luck getting it
working and figuring out how to do anything.  It've very reminiscent of old
school tools -- in other words quite powerful and difficult to use.  The
community also suffered a hit with the fork earlier this year.  Yeah,
that's how bad things were.  Nonetheless, it looks like things may have
gotten better to the point where H264 is standard export format and they
provide binaries for Ubuntu -- of course, this still requires way more
arcane knowledge than should be required, at least it's documented
(http://cvs.cinelerra.org/getting_cinelerra.php#ubuntu)

402 PAYMENT REQUIRED
Main Actor for Linux used to be a good choice, but it was commercial.
Unfortunately, when I tried looking for an updated version recently I
couldn't find much about it on MainSoft's site.

--Patrick