[wplug] Software Freedom Day 2008

David Ostroske eksortso at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 20:53:12 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 9:07 AM, DK <wplug at curlynoodle.com> wrote:
> Software Freedom Day 2008 is rapidly approaching; Saturday, September
> 20th.  I am planning to have the WPLUG event in Oakland again, at or
> near Schenley Plaza.  Last year we were asked to move our cart across
> Schenley Ave because we did not have an event permit.  I hope to
> obtain such a permit allow us to setup on the corner of Forbes and
> Schenley, near the food vendors.

This was a great event last year. I'm looking forward to doing it again.

[...]
> Last year we distributed TheOpenCD featuring open source software for
> use with Microsoft Windows.  This included Firefox, Thunderbird,
> OpenOffice, Scribus, GIMP, Inkscape, Pidgin, and others.
> Unfortunately, this project (http://www.theopencd.org/) is no longer
> under development.  So, I need to find something new for this year's
> event.  Also, we had several of the public inquire about open source
> software for Mac OS, something that TheOpenCD did not provide.  As
> such, I would like to have a few CDs with Mac OS versions of popular
> packages.

The OpenDisc project is still very much active! I've been giving away
copies of it to many people I know.
http://www.theopendisc.com/

I can't help with Mac software, though. What could we do for the Mac users?

> Lastly, we need volunteers to help with the event, both planning and
> participation during the event.  Please let me know if you would like
> to attend to help WPLUG advocate FOSS by distributing CDs, talking
> with people about open source, and helping with laptop demos.   If
> anyone would be willing to lend use of a pickup truck or van to haul
> the cart and supplies to the event, please let me know ASAP.

Dave, have you got my phone number? I'm willing to help out again this year.

One thing we ought to do is get in contact with the people at the Pitt
radio station. They were willing to interview us last year, though as
far as I know, we never followed up on the opportunity.

--
-- Dave O