[wplug] PHP mail() problems

Chris Romano romano.chris at gmail.com
Tue Aug 12 15:40:37 EDT 2008

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 3:28 PM, Paul Oehler <poehler at interworx.com> wrote:
>>> There's really nothing in the qmail send log at all when you try to
>>> send from php?  Does the php mail command return true or false?
>>
>> Nope.  Nothing at all. The only time info gets sent there is when I
>> use the cli.  The mail command returns false.  I don't know how to get
>> any specific info as to what the failure is.
>
> Very odd.  I assume apache/php is running as a non-root user - maybe try
> exec'ing /usr/sbin/sendmail as that user at the command line and see if you
> get any errors.  I'd also check the apache error log as well just in case.
> In my experience the "default" sendmail_path is what you want (with the
> default options it passes as well).

apache is running as "apache" ... however when I "su apache" I get the
following error:
[root at apbt bin]# su apache
This account is currently not available.

Which is happening (I'm assuming) because the user "apache" has it's
default shell set to /sbin/nologin

Not sure if any selinux permissions are messing things up or not, but
I'm not sure how to check that (need to do some digging).

--
"They that would trade essential liberty for a little temporary safety
deserve neither." -- Benjamin Franklin