[wplug] iptables rules on linux remote box being flushed somehow

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Mon Aug 11 16:19:26 EDT 2008

On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Mackenzie Morgan <macoafi at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 4:14 PM, Zach Uram <netrek at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 10:07 AM, Eric Cooper <ecc at cmu.edu> wrote:
>>>
>>> No.  It's much more likely that your system had been rebooted in the
>>> interim -- did you check?
>>
>> Heh you were right. The VPS rebooted without my knowledge. I hope they
>> don't do that regularly. Guess next step is to figure out how to make
>> it a cron job so the rules will be applied after a boot.
>
> iptables-save and iptables-restore are what you're looking for.  Don't
> forget ip6tables as well.

Oh, what distro is it?  If Red Hat, put your rules in
/etc/sysconfig/iptables and it'll be auto-applied at boot.
Alternatively, set /etc/sysconfig/iptables-config's
IPTABLES_SAVE_ON_STOP and IPTABLES_SAVE_ON_RESTART to yes, and
whatever changes you make on-the-fly will be saved to
/etc/sysconfig/iptables automatically.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
Linux User #432169