[wplug] Software Freedom Day 2008

DK wplug at curlynoodle.com
Mon Aug 11 09:07:46 EDT 2008

Hello Everyone:

Software Freedom Day 2008 is rapidly approaching; Saturday, September
20th.  I am planning to have the WPLUG event in Oakland again, at or
near Schenley Plaza.  Last year we were asked to move our cart across
Schenley Ave because we did not have an event permit.  I hope to
obtain such a permit allow us to setup on the corner of Forbes and
Schenley, near the food vendors.

If anyone has a suggestion for an alternative venue, please speak up.
It would be great to have an indoor venue in case of bad weather.

Last year we distributed TheOpenCD featuring open source software for
use with Microsoft Windows.  This included Firefox, Thunderbird,
OpenOffice, Scribus, GIMP, Inkscape, Pidgin, and others.
Unfortunately, this project (http://www.theopencd.org/) is no longer
under development.  So, I need to find something new for this year's
event.  Also, we had several of the public inquire about open source
software for Mac OS, something that TheOpenCD did not provide.  As
such, I would like to have a few CDs with Mac OS versions of popular
packages.

Lastly, we need volunteers to help with the event, both planning and
participation during the event.  Please let me know if you would like
to attend to help WPLUG advocate FOSS by distributing CDs, talking
with people about open source, and helping with laptop demos.   If
anyone would be willing to lend use of a pickup truck or van to haul
the cart and supplies to the event, please let me know ASAP.

Thanks,
Dave Kraus