[wplug] Securing apache + logs

Zach Uram netrek at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 17:45:40 EDT 2008

I finally got a VPS (I selected a Debian instance) and am going to run
my webserver from there.

I was wondering if there are any procs/cons with Apache vs Apache 2?
Also what Apache modules should I consider installing?

Besides running iptables as my firewall is there anything else I
should do on the security end? The VPS handles security up to their
routers but it is up to me to secure my VPS "machine".

Also does anyone know of a nice Debian package that will let me check
all Apache log files and see visitor IP, referrer, web brower type
stats from a nice web interface? Ideally it will have a secure login,
archive all stats and allow me to look at all historical stats from
the web GUI, and support local and remote access.

Zach