[wplug] Fedora Core 9 Notes:

Weber, Lawrence A laweber at switch.com
Thu Aug 7 07:56:13 EDT 2008

I have been installing Fedora Core 9 over the last few days and wanted
to share some observations about the installation.  I would appreciate
comments from others with Core 9 installation experience.

First I downloaded and burned a copy of the DVD (i386).  This was
rejected as missing a file.

I then downloaded and burned the CD's.  Disk 2 was reported as having an
error.

I re-downloaded the CD's and DVD's, verified the sha1 checksums and
burned new CD's and DVD.  The DVD was reported to be missing a file.
The first CD checked good but all others checked bad.  I rechecked the
CD's and they all reported good???

I started the install from the CD's and all started fine.  The second CD
was not accepted but the second CD from the first burn (previously bad)
was accepted???   The third CD would not be accepted from either burn.

I replaced the DVD drive with a known good CD drive and started fresh.
Same flaky results.

I discovered that if I did not close the CD drive and just clicked on
the display button that the drive would close and the disk would be
accepted.  At least most of the time.

After the installation all looked to be good until I tried to adjust the
clock time through the GNOME GUI.  I could adjust the time but when I
entered my root password in the authentication window, it was repeatedly
rejected.  The password check out elsewhere so I know it was entered
correctly.  After a few rejections, I hit cancel and the new time was
accepted???

I then started to apply updates.  After a while the system started to
display "sleep" and "hibernation" problems windows.  Selecting any
button in these windows just shut them.

I let the update run overnight and this morning found several error
reports related to a notepad tool.  I guess I will be debugging that
tonight.

This PC had previously run Windows 2000 and Fedora Core 8 with no
problems, (I may have to go back to 8).

Fedora Core 9's project name is "Sulphur", could it be that this distro
is named appropriately?