[wplug] POP to IMAP conversion

Tom Rhodes trhodes at FreeBSD.org
Fri Apr 25 19:14:52 EDT 2008

On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 13:20:27 -0400
"Michael Semcheski" <mhsemcheski at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 25, 2008 at 1:12 PM, DK <wplug at curlynoodle.com> wrote:
>
> > I have several years of email I wish to keep, for some silly reason,
> > currently stored in Thunderbird.  I'd like to move (preserving dates,
> > headers, etc) everything to an IMAP server allowing local and remote
> > access.
> >

> In the past, I have dragged and dropped the mail from my local folders to
> the imap ones in Thunderbird.  Works as expected.

Recently, using Sendmail (the greatest MTA on earth), we added
IMAP server support using Maildir format for the users who
needed it.  We found a program which took mbox format over
to Maildir format with a simple google.

Using this same magical method of googling, I found you can:

Drag and drop or select all and drop,
Try export,import methods,
Keep the mail you currently have and just switch to IMAP,
Try uploading the messages you have into Maildir format,

If you're using mbox - you may be able to export in mbox
format OR try to concatenate them using a script.  :)

Seriously, mbox format is pretty straightforward, I haven't
tried this, but you might (should) be able to just:

for x in `ls MSGLIST` ; do
  cat $x >> mbox_mail && printf "\n\n" >> $x ;
done;

Then see if the messages exist on the other end, or if you're
using Maildir format, find an mbox to Maildir converter (I
used to have a link but can't find it right now) and use that.
mbox format is pretty much the "From line" to start the headers,
then headers, then mail content, then two new lines and the
start of another message with the same old "From line."  If
your mail client (like mine, like any real MUA does) stores the
email with full headers, this method will work.  You'll lose
the local directory structure though.

Good luck.  Though I have no clue why this wouldn't work.  :)

--
Tom Rhodes