[wplug] Reasonable message size limit?

Mackenzie Morgan macoafi at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 12:25:00 EDT 2008

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 10:42 -0400, Janos Dohanics wrote:

> > > I agree.  I would figure 10 - 20M unless the client is paying special
> > > for large attachment support.
> >
> > In most cases, you'll have to go with the default for most online mail
> > services.
> >
> > Gmail - 20MB
> > Yahoo - 10MB
> > Hotmail - 10MB
> >
> > That being said, there still are many places with silly email policies that
> > wonder why no one uses their service.  My undergrad, for example, still has
> > a quota of 11MB for everything in your mailbox -- all your messages!
> > That's the same quota they've had since 1992.
> >
> > --Patrick
>
> 10 MB may be small for the total mailbox size. Only I think that it's becoming
> a trend that people store many of their work related and large files in IMAP
> mailboxes, and it doesn't seem to me a good way to "organize" ones work...

If you POP it and don't keep it in the online mailbox anyway, how are
you supposed to access it from one of your other computers or when
you're on the road, though?  I'd have to go a week without email every
other week in the summer because my mom's lack of wifi means my laptop
wouldn't be able to POP anything.  IMAP makes sense.

--
Mackenzie Morgan
apt-get moo